TheConcord.org.uk

The Official Forum of the Manchester Concord
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Los Angeles - 3 venues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 am 

MC Member No: 165
I've been having an email dialogue with Alice Novic, author of the autobiographical book "Alice in Genderland", often advertised in TVChix banners and elsewhere. She invited me to meet her last night at the Oxnard Inn, 13713 Oxnard St, Van Nuys, CA 91401. The place is a single storey building with one bar area, pool table area and dance floor and could be likened to Napolean's - but without quite so much glitz, finish and class!

Saturdays and Wednesdays are the nights T-girls tend to gather there and there was good friendly crowd of girls and admirers and a few straight couples - or perhaps they were very convincing long term full time girls. I even found myself dancing with an ex-pat from Leeds and quite a few others in the Oxnard had previously heard of the wonders of Manchester. At least one declared a determination to try and see us when she manages her long term plan to visit the UK.

I arrived before Alice but felt welcomed even before she got there. When she did arrive, she introduced me to a couple of people who also figure in her book. I now know their real names as in the book some were changed to protect the innocent, and perhaps the not quite so innocent identities!

Before going to the Oxnard, I dined alone as Melanie at Barone's (pronounced "bar-own-ees") Italian restaurant directly across the street. I'd been told other t-girls often dine there but I didn't spot any. Giving my name as Elaine whilst making my table reservation in the late afternoon whilst standing there as Peter caused no raised eyebrows. One does need to book as it gets very full on Saturday, people being drawn by the live jazz. Last night we had a piano/electric bass/drums line up fronted by a singer/host who was very entertaining. It is a lively place with the host welcoming supposed celebrity musicians and film people, though the names did not register with me.

I met Alice again during the following week, on this ocassion at the restaurant well known as the place to go film star spotting - The Ivy, 113 N Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048. I realised it was going to be an expensive meal from the photographers who hang around the place to snap whichever celebrities they find, though I did my best to fight them off!

Melanie Harrison

Last edited by Melanie on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles (Van Nuys to be precise) - 2 venues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm 

MC Member No: 100
How amazingly interesting. I used to correspond with Alice myself a year or two ago, and always keep her book handy. Say hello for me (although she might have to refer to 'the miracle of saved email' as she puts it). I'll always be sad that I missed her at Sparkle a few years ago.

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles (Van Nuys to be precise) - 2 venues
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:47 pm 

MC Member No: 316
Having spent several years in Southern California since 1993 I can assure everyone that we are well catered for not just in LA but San Diego too. I don't have any personal experience of these places as I always had my family with me, but they are not difficult to find and the weather is normally good

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't